US Air Force
Presented to the inhabitants of Neuilly-la-Foret in eternal friendship
474th Association of fighting forces of the 9th air force, USA
38th Signal Battalion
Construction of the A11 airfield (A=American) was begun on the 22nd July 1944 by the 832nd Engineer Aviation Battalion. It was declared operational on the 5th August 1944 and accommodated the 474th Fighter Group and the P-38 Lightnings (fighter bombers).
About 100 planes parked on this aerodrome of around 200 hectares. Only three squadrons, with 25 fighter bombers in each one, were operational. The rest were used for liaison between the different aerodromes.
On 23rd August, the 474th Fighter Group had its hour of glory, when it destroyed a significant quantity of equipment and materiel amassed along the Seine, behind the pocket of resistance of Falaise-Argentan.
On 25 August, 23 pilots from the 474th Fighter Group took off from the aerodrome. 11 of them fell above the Oise after a huge combat with German fighters. On 5 September 1944, the land of the A11 airfield was returned to French authorities.
Notified by : Marc Bonas.
Record added 05/02/2008. Photos : Philippe Jegousse.
The photos are under copyright. They may not be reproduced, modified, distributed in any support without prior permission. You are free to make links to this page.