Coordinates : 46°49'5"N 1°41'49"E
46°49.081 N 1°41.815 E
The roundabout Rond-Point Porte de Paris. Take the N151 SW to the Route d'Issoudun and merge into Avenue Marcel Lemoine. Follow it south to the Rond-Point Porte de Paris next to Le Fournil Saint Andre.
Inaugurated on Sunday June 20th 2010 by Carly Van Orman, representative of the US Ambassador to France Philippe Derumigny, prefect of Indre Jean-Francois Mayet, Senator of Indre and Mayor of Chateauroux Michel Blondeau, Mayor of Deols, VP of the Indre General Assembly Jenelle Peterson, President of the Chateauroux American High School Alumni Mike Gagne, VP of the Chateauroux American High School Alumni Association
This 3m bronze statue was a gift from an anonymous American benefactor to the towns of Chateauroux and Deols, as he had spent part of his childhood there. It was created by American sculptors Tomas Bustos and David Newton and commemorates the friendship between Americans and the towns of Chateauroux and Deols.
This statue is given to the inhabitants of Chateauroux and Deols, in memory of the places, we lived, worked, and studied. May the flame of our friendship keep burning!
From June 1951, as part of NATO's deployment, the US Air Force installed a materiel depot and repair station in Chateauroux Deols. 5000 American servicemen roamed the streets of Chateauroux, Deols, and the Chateauroux Air Station (CHAS). They left France in March 1967.